Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tomato Sauce

On Monday I got home from work and got stuck into making some homemade tomato sauce, a first for me.

I got 3 kgs of tomatoes from my parents and the 500g onions were ours, plus added sugar and spices and cooked for four hours. You do need to keep an eye on it as it will stick a little if you don't give it an occasional stir. Sieved it all (which will also give you an upper arm work out - at least for one of your arms!) and reboiled for another 5 minutes, pour into your sterilised bottles and Daa Daa - Tomato sauce!!

I had Wes taste test it and he told me it was spot on! The recipe is yet another one from A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise, though I left out the whole cloves because I am just not that keen on them and instead of just white sugar I mixed in some brown sugar too. I also halved the mixture as it calls for 6 kgs of tomatoes but if you could get hold of a box at the markets you could easily do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment