Sunday, August 4, 2013

Planning Ahead

Over the past month I have gone back to cooking a lot of meals on the weekend so that they are there when we need them. I found we were eating too many take-away dinners. Not all ways in the "McD" sense but often grabbing a cooked chook and salad from Coles on the way home from work - or something of the sort.

This has added quite a lot to our food budget as you can imagine, every trip to the supermarket is $20-$30. And on an already (I think) generous grocery budget this had become a major expense.

Hence the reason I have started planning again. I have made and frozen meals such as chicken fried rice, rogan josh, chicken biryani, lasagne, casseroles (all sorts), curried sausages and savoury mince. All of these are easy to cook, can have as many veggies as you want in them and defrost very very well, making dinner quick and cheap. Cheap as now I am not doing a full grocery shop and then doing another in bits and pieces throughout the fortnight. Lovely.

Do you freeze ahead? What recipes have you found that freeze and defrost well?

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving having pesto in the freezer from last summer. It makes the quickest, yummiest meals and reminds me of summer. My only problem is that our freezer is tiny, it sounds like yours has the capacity to hold lots more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made potato and leek soup and I usually freeze the extra, but I gave the extra to my kids. I cannot only make a little soup, or stew or spaghetti sauce so I now freeze and defrost on days I know I won't be able to cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perkenalkan, saya dari tim kumpulbagi. Saya ingin tau, apakah kiranya anda berencana untuk mengoleksi files menggunakan hosting yang baru?
    Jika ya, silahkan kunjungi website ini www.kumpulbagi.com untuk info selengkapnya.

    Di sana anda bisa dengan bebas share dan mendowload foto-foto keluarga dan trip, music, video, resepi dalam jumlah dan waktu yang tidak terbatas, setelah registrasi terlebih dahulu. Gratis :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my kids were little I did a lot of cooking. Crock pot cooking for when the kids were in sports. But....not so much these days.

    ReplyDelete